Old Vic New Voices (OVNV) has launched its season of work for 2012. The education and community department of The Old Vic Theatre, the new season focuses on the department’s core principles of supporting emerging talent, schools and the community, and the projects will all be launched through creative network and funding body for 16 to 30 year olds, IdeasTap.
Highlights of the new season include:
Brand new community musical, EPIDEMIC , by Morgan Lloyd Malcolm, to be performed in April/May 2012 at the Old Vic Tunnels with a company of 100 young people
- A multimedia musical bringing together a multicultural group of Londoners, that focuses on global health and hygiene
- Auditions open in February 2012
New Voices Edinburgh 2012
- New fringe platform in partnership with IdeasTap and Underbelly, showcasing five new productions from OVNV emerging talent at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in August 2012
- Expert technical and marketing support will be given to allow new writers to have their work seen by the theatre industry and gain experience in the process
- Applications open now on IdeasTap
Health Wealth Theatre in Schools Production and Schools Tour September
- Continuation of OVNV’s annual schools tour, inspired by contemporary issues affecting young people
- Previous productions have included Think Tank, Go for Green and Sky’s the Limit, addressing conscious consumerism, war and aspiration
- The month-long 2012 tour will use theatre to inspire, debate and educate
The 24 Hour Plays: Old Vic New Voices
- Now in its seventh year, the annual search to find the next generation of theatre stars returns in October 2012
- The project has a history of developing some of the finest producing, writing, directing and acting talent in the UK
- Theatremakers aged 16 to 25 are challenged to write, direct and perform a play in just 24 hours in front of an audience of VIPs and industry experts at the Old Vic Theatre
- Applications open August 2012
Alongside these headline projects, OVNV has a range of programmes to develop emerging creative talent, including 21 performance slots at The Old Vic Tunnels and OVNV’s Activation programme, offering free and discounted theatre tickets, backstage tours, employment opportunities and support for creative projects to people living locally to The Old Vic.
For more information on all creative opportunities offered by OVNV and to sign up for their Opportunities and Events bulletin, see their website, www.oldvicnewvoices.com or http://www.ideastap.com/Partners/ovnv/opportunities_events/2012_season.
Follow OVNV on Twitter @oldvicnewvoices.